Designer – Dan Kazmaier & Connie Kazmaier
Artist – Mary Haasdyk, Sahana VJ
Publisher – Steeped Games
In Chai, you will step into the shoes of a tea merchant, combining tea flavours to make a perfect blend. Specializing in either rooibos, green, oolong, black or white tea, you will buy and collect ingredients to fulfill your customers’ orders.
As a tea merchant, each turn you will do one of the following:
At the end of each turn, a player may complete a tea order from one customer card in their hand or visible in the customer pool. A base tea token, tea flavours and additives shown on the card are needed ingredients, and placed in an empty tea cup. The player flips over a tip and receives a coin bonus, moving the thermometer round tracker up one notch if all cups are filled.
The game ends when five rounds of cups have been fulfilled. When the final order is completed, other players complete their last turn so that each player has played the same number of turns.
To score, players add up their victory points from fulfilled customer orders, and add their leftover money to this total. In 3-5 player games, additional points are awarded to the player(s) who fulfilled the most orders and most diverse tea recipes. Award ties are friendly with each winner receiving 5 points.
The player with the most victory points (from customer orders, money, and awards) wins the game as best tea merchant! In the case of a tie, the person with the least number of fulfilled customer cards wins. If still tied, the person with the least amount of money wins. If that does not break a tie, the victory is shared.
– 5 tea house (green, black, rooibos [red], oolong [blue], white) player boards
– 30 base tea tokens (6 tokens of each above colour)
– 40 customer cards (8 of each colour), 15 added for deluxe (3 of each colour)
– 5 player aid cards (1 for each player), 3 added deluxe rule cards
– 8 ability cards, 3 added deluxe ability cards
– 72 tea flavour tiles (12 tiles of each: mint, jasmine, lemon, ginger, berries, and lavender)
– 5 added deluxe wild tea flavour tiles
-1 recessed-market board (cut out both; cut and paste bottom board to top)
– 1 double-sided (Celsius/Farenheit) thermometer with round tracker clip (+two extras)
– 50 pantry tokens (10 tokens of each: milk, sugar, honey, vanilla, and chai spices)
– 5 added deluxe wild pantry tokens
– 6 tip tokens – 1 money pouch board – 1 Chai rulebook (separate file)
– 30 coins (fifteen copper , ten silver , five gold ), 1 first player token
– 5 tea token, Chai clip, and two tea flavour tile 3D printer files (.STL/.OBJ)
Additional Component Required